Daily Current Affairs national international February 21-02-2017:
1. 21 February: International Mother Language Day
- Daily Current Affairs national international: International Mother Language Day (IMLD) is a worldwide annual observance held on 21st February to promote awareness of linguistic and cultural diversity and multilingualism.
- The theme of 2017:”Towards Sustainable Futures through Multilingual Education”.
- First International Mother Language Day announced by UNESCO on 17 November 1999
2. Novelist Ved Prakash Sharma passes away
- Hindi novelist Ved Prakash Sharma (62-year) has passed away in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh.
- Sharma was famous for novels with unique titles like Dahej Mein Revolver, Dulhan Maange Dahej and Widhva Ka Pati.
- His novel “Vardi Wala Gunda” published in 1993, gave him the big break and sold more than eight crore copies.
3. Bengali singer Banasree Sengupta passes away
- Bengali singer Banasree Sengupta (71-year) passed away in Kolkata due to illness.
- She also had lent her voice to Bengali, Hindi, Assamese, and Odia films.
- She had recorded a large number of romantic songs since 1966.
- West Bengal government had bestowed Sangeet Samman (2012) and the Mahasangeet Samman (2013) for her contribution to music.
Books & Authors
- The HarperCollins Publishers India has announced that Hema Malini: Beyond the Dream Girl, will be released on the 69th birthday of the dream girl.
- The authorised biography is penned by a senior journalist and author Ram Kamal Mukherjee.
5. Indian films win award at Berlin International Film Festival- 2017
- Two Indian films “Newton” and “Aaba” (Short film) have bagged tophonorss at the annual 67th Berlin International Film Festival.
- Newton has won the CICAE Art Cinema Award and Short film Aaba has won Special Prize of Generation KPlus International Jury for Best Short Film.
Daily Current Affairs national international: National Affairs
6. Coal imports declines by 21.7% to 14.31 million tonnes in January
- Coal imports declined by 21.7% to 14.31 million tonnes last month on the back of sufficient availability of domestic fuel.
- Imports in January 2017 stood at 14.31 million tonnes against 18.28 million tonnes in same month last year.
- according to mjunction services, an online procurement and sales platform floated jointly by SAIL and Tata Steel.
- The government had said, in September, 2016, that it was working on a plan to end dependency on coal imports in next three to four months in order to facilitate consumption of the surplus fossil fuel produced by Coal India. Coal India accounts for over 80 per cent of domestic coal production.
7. Daily Current Affairs national international: Gujarat Assembly passes Aadhaar Bill -2017
- The Gujarat Assembly has passed “The Gujarat Aadhaar Bill, 2017 “.
- The bill will empower the state government to use Aadhaar number as the sole identifier for the delivery of various subsidies and benefits in an effective and targeted manner.
- Now, linking the Aadhhaar number with various schemes will help the government create a credible system to authenticate the identity of actual beneficiaries.
Daily Current Affairs national international: International Affairs
8.Daily Current Affairs national international: India & Rwanda sign MoUs in innovation, aviation and visa requirements
- India and Rwanda have inked agreements in fields of innovation, aviation, and visa requirement in the presence of Vice President Mohammed Hamid Ansari and Rwandan Prime Minister Anastase Murekezi during a business forum meet in Kigali, Rwanda.
- Earlier, Mr. Ansari is in Rwanda on the first leg of his 2-nation visit to East Africa.
- The three important agreements are bilateral air service agreement between two countries an establishment of an Entrepreneurship Development Centre in Rwanda duly financed by Government of India and an agreement for exemption of visa requirements for diplomatic and service passports.
- He will travel to Uganda, the second leg of his tour.
National & International Appointment
9. Trump appoints Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster his new national security adviser
- US President Donald Trump has appointed Lt Gen Herbert Raymond McMaster as his new National Security Advisor following the ouster of Michael Flynn last week.
- Currently McMaster is the Director of the Army Capabilities Integration Center.
- The acting National Security Advisor, Gen (Retd.) Keith Kellogg will now serve as Mr Trump’s National Security Council Chief of staff.
- McMaster is known for his roles in the Gulf War, Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.
- National Security Advisor is a senior aide in the Executive Office of the President, based at the West Wing of the White House, who serves as the chief in-house advisor to the President of the United States on national security issues.
Daily Current Affairs national international: Banking & Finance
10. Oriental Bank of Commerce launches mobile wallet ‘Batuaa’
- Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC) has launched of mobile wallet “Oriental Batuaa” on the occasion of its 75th Foundation Day.
- The bank has also launched two new cards RuPay based Platinum international debit card and Oriental Prepaid Card a RuPay card for individuals and corporates.
- The Bank also launched MSME schemes, ‘Oriental Sanjeevani’for doctors for setting up new hospitals and clinics and ‘Oriental Budget Hotels and Restaurants’ for individuals, proprietors, companies etc for setting up new hotels, restaurants, etc.
Daily Current Affairs national international: Sports
11. Sandeep Kumar breaks his own national record in 50km race walk
- Sandeep Kumar(Haryana) has won the gruelling men’s 50-kilometre event of the National Race Walking Championships in New Delhi.
- He smashed his own national record.
- Sandeep clocked three hours 55 minutes and 59.05 seconds in a brilliant performance to win the race and qualify for the London World Championships in August.
Team Result Status
- 1 Daily Current Affairs national international February 21-02-2017:
- 1.1 Important Dates
- 1.2 Obituaries
- 1.3 Honors & Awards
- 1.3.1 5. Indian films win award at Berlin International Film Festival- 2017
- 1.3.2 Daily Current Affairs national international: National Affairs
- 1.3.3 6. Coal imports declines by 21.7% to 14.31 million tonnes in January
- 1.3.4 7. Daily Current Affairs national international: Gujarat Assembly passes Aadhaar Bill -2017
- 1.4 Daily Current Affairs national international: International Affairs
- 1.5 National & International Appointment
- 1.6 Daily Current Affairs national international: Banking & Finance
- 1.7 Daily Current Affairs national international: Sports