Daily GK updates 18-03-2017 latest current affairs national international @resultstatus.com
latest current affairs national international
current affairs 2017 , current affairs 2017 questions , Daily current affairs 2017 , Daily GK Updates , general knowledge current affairs questions and answers , general knowledge questions competitive exams , g.k questions on current affairs with answers , latest current affairs .
latest current affairs : Appointments
1. Bibhu Prasad Kanungo takes charge as the Deputy Governor of RBI.
- 58 year old Bibhu Prasad Kanungo belongs to the coastal Kendrapara district in Odisha.
- Prasad joined Reserve Bank of India in 1980 as officer after clearing the Grade B examination of the organisation.
- After Harun Rashid Khan, whose term ended in July 2016, Kanungo is the second person from Odisha to be selected for this post.
2. Manhar Valji Bhai Zala assumes office as the new Chairman of National Commission for Safai Karamcharis.
- Two other members, Manju Diler and Shri Dalip Kallu Hathibed also assumed office with him.
- As per Narain Dass, Secretary of the Commission, the posts of the Chairman and the members were lying vacant for almost one year.
- Manhar Valji ensured that issues affecting the Safai Karamcharis socio-economic and working conditions will be addressed to in the right earnest.
latest current affairs : National Affairs
- J P Nadda, Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare, announced that the National Health Policy 2017 is patient-centric and quality-driven, which provides the much needed policy framework for achieving universal health coverage and delivering quality health care services to all at an affordable cost.
- The Health Ministry has formulated the National Health Policy 2017 after a gap of 14 years.
- latest current affairs : The move aims to address the current and emerging challenges necessitated by the changing socio-economic and epidemiological landscapes since the last National Health Policy was framed in 2002.
4. BSNL – MTNL Merger suggested by Parliamentary Panel.
- The committee of petitions led by BJP MP Bhagat Singh Koshyari has suggested the merger of BSNL – MTNL in its report for the long term survival of these entities.
- The committee was formed to look into the improvement in services of BSNL (Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited) and MTNL (Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited).
- The merger is expected to create huge opportunities for the two firms that have not been able to perform properly for some time now.
- The scheme was launched by Nirmala Sitharaman, Commerce and Industry Minister.
- Rita Teaotia, Commerce Secretary said the scheme would provide assistance for setting up and up-gradation of infrastructure projects with overwhelming export linkages like the Border Haats, Land customs stations, quality testing and certification labs, cold chains, trade promotion centres, dry ports, export warehousing and packaging, SEZs and ports/airports cargo terminuses.
latest current affairs : International Affairs
- latest current affairs : Women in Politics map was jointly launched by UN Women and Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU).
- It represents the political empowerment of women on the sidelines of the ongoing session of the Commission on the Status of Women.
- India stood at 88th position in a list of 186 countries with 18.5% of women appointed in ministerial positions as on 1st January 2017.
- In the ranking of nations as per the number of women elected or appointed to parliaments as on 1st January 2017, India stood at 148th place among the 193 UN countries, with only 11.48 per cent women in the Lower House of Parliament and 11 per cent in the Upper House.
7. Pakistan starts its first Population Census in 19 years.
- Pakistan’s last population census was conducted in 1988. National population of 180 million was recorded back then.
- The process of census was inaugurated by Asif Bajwa, Chief Statistician from Attock district in Punjab province of Pakistan.
- The first phase of the census will end on April 15.
8. MoU between LBSNAA and NIPAM for capacity building of public officials of Namibia approved by Union Cabinet.
- The signing of MoU has been approved between Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA), Mussoorie and Namibia Institute of Public Administration and Management (NIPAM), Namibia.
- The MOU will help the Academy to disseminate some of its experience in running a training institution for higher civil services in the country to NIPAM.
- It will also help the two sides to engage in collaborative activities in the sphere of public administration and capacity building.
latest current affairs : Awards and Honors
- Indrani Das is a 17 year old Indian American student from New Jersey.
- Indrani has won the top prize worth $250,000 among 40 participants.
- She has been conferred the honor for her study of a possible approach to treat death of neurons due to brain injury or neurodegenerative disease.
- Another Indian – American student, Arjun Ramani grabbed the third prize worth $150000 for his work on networks using mathematical field of graph theory and computer programming.
- This is the oldest US Science Competition for the students and has been given the name of ‘Junior Nobel Prize’.
latest current affairs : Sports
10. Jwala Gutta appointed as a member of Governing body of SAI.
- Jwala was appointed as a member by the Secretary of Sports Authority of India (SAI), S. S. Chhabra.
- Apart from the Badminton Specialist, shooter Gagan Narang and IAS officer B. V. Papa Rao will also be the members of the SAI Governing body.
latest current affairs 17-03-2017
- Former Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) pracharak and MLA of Doiwala ‘Trivendra Singh Rawat’ (57-year)sworn in as a new Uttarakhand Chief Minister (9th) in the state capital Dehradun.
- Governor KK Paul administered the oath.
- Earlier, he was elected from Doiwala in the state’s first legislative assembly elections in 2002, retained his seat in 2007 and 2017 elections.
- In recent Uttarakhand Assembly elections, BJP won 57 of the 70 seats.
- As a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party, he served as Jharkhand’s in-charge and Uttarakhand cadre’s president.
- The Union Minister of State Babul Supriyo has been appointed as vice-president of the local organizing committee for the 2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup.
- A FIFA team is scheduled to visit India from 21st to 27th March for the final inspection of the facilities in the six cities (Mumbai, New Delhi, Kolkata, Kochi, Margao, and Guwahati) which will host matches of the U-17 World Cup.
- For the first time, India to host FIFA U-17 World from 6 to 28 October, 2017.
3. Karan Avtar Singh appointed as Chief Secretary of Punjab
- Senior IAS officer Karan Avtar Singh (1984-batch) has been appointed as the Chief Secretary of Punjab.
- He succeeded Shri Sarvesh Kaushal who was posted as Special Chief Secretary-cum-Director General of the Mahatma Gandhi State Institute of Public Administration.
- Singh was also given the charge of the Principal Secretary of Department of Personnel, General Administration and Vigilance and Investment Promotion.
- The three-day International Buddhist conference has been jointly inaugurated by respected religious leader Dalai Lama and the Union Minister for Tourism and Culture, Mahesh Sharma at Nava Nalanda Mahavihara, Rajgir (Bihar).
- More than 1000 delegates from 35 countries including Indonesia, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Singapore is participating in the event.
- The main topic of the conference is Buddhism in the 21st century.
- Last year, it was held in Kathmandu, Nepal.
5. latest current affairs : CCEA approves setting up of 50 new Kendriya Vidyalayas
- latest current affairs : The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the proposal for setting up around 50 new Kendriya Vidyalayas (KVs) under Civil or Defence Sector in the country.
- The Kendriya Vidyalayas are considered as model schools in the country in terms of physical infrastructure, teaching resources, curriculum and academic performance.
- There are over 1100 functional Kendriya Vidyalayas at present, including three international branches at Moscow, Kathmandu, and Tehran.
- The objective of Kendriya Vidyalayas is to cater to the educational needs of children of transferable Central Government employees including Defence and Para-military personnel.
6. Former racing champion Ashwin Sundar dies in mishap
- Former national racing champion Ashwin Sundar and his wife Niveditha died in a mishap at MRC Nagar, Chennai.
- The car in which the two were traveling caught fire after it hit a roadside tree.
- Sundar had won the national title in car racing and two-wheeler events on several occasions and his wife was a doctor in a private hospital in Chennai.
7. Nobel laureate Derek Walcott Caribbean poet passes away
- A Nobel-prize winning poet, playwright, and painter “Derek Alton Walcott” (87-year) has passed away at his home in Cap Estate, Saint Lucia.
- latest current affairs : Walcott known for capturing the essence of his native Caribbean.
- The prolific and versatile poet received the Nobel Prize in literature in 1992 after being shortlisted for the honor for many years.
8. latest current affairs : India & Russia sign long-term support pact on Sukhoi Su-30MKI
- India and Russia have signed two long-term support agreements for the Sukhoi Su-30MKI combat aircraft fleet.
- The agreements were signed by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) with United Aircraft Corporation and United Engine Corporation.
- latest current affairs : The Pacts were also signed for maintenance and life-cycle support for other Russian-origin platforms, like Mi-17 helicopters, MiG-29K aircraft, INS Vikramaditya and T-90 tanks.
- The Su-30MKI was designed and developed by Russia’s Irkut Corporation, specifically for India.
9. Germany to use voice recognition to identify migrant origins
- Germany is to begin testing new voice recognition software that can tell which country migrants without documentation come from.
- The automated new system would begin within two weeks.
- New software is similar to the voice authentication technology used by banks and insurance companies and is capable of differentiating between dialects.
- The aim is to detect Arabic-speaking migrants claiming to be Syrian to increase their chances of asylum.
10. Bandhan Bank signs pact with Avenues India to enhance customer support
- Bandhan Bank Ltd. has signed an agreement with a payment solution provider in India Avenues India Pvt Ltd. in Kolkata.
- The agreement was signed to provide the merchants with seamless access to the point- of- sale (POS) and the payment gateway products.
- The partnership will help merchants to have a faster and more direct access to POS machines, payment gateways, and competitive financing options.
- Bandhan Bank Ltd. is an Indian banking and financial services company headquartered in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Bandhan, which started as a micro-finance company in 2001, received banking license by Reserve Bank of India in 2014.
11. Olympics: Fukushima confirmed as additional 2020 baseball venue
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has approved their plan to add a stadium in Fukushima for newly added baseball and softball events.
- Tokyo organizing committee proposed Azuma Stadium in Fukushima Prefecture as an additional venue for baseball and softball.
- Earlier, the IOC held a second-day Executive Board meeting in the South Korean city of Pyeongchang.
- 1 Daily GK updates 18-03-2017 latest current affairs national international @resultstatus.com
- 1.1 latest current affairs national international
- 1.2 latest current affairs : Appointments
- 1.3 latest current affairs : National Affairs
- 1.4 latest current affairs : International Affairs
- 1.5 latest current affairs : Awards and Honors
- 1.6 latest current affairs : Sports
- 1.7 latest current affairs 17-03-2017
- 1.7.1 1. Trivendra Rawat sworn in as the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand
- 1.7.2 2. Babul Supriyo named vice-president of FIFA U-17 World Cup
- 1.7.3 3. Karan Avtar Singh appointed as Chief Secretary of Punjab
- 1.7.4 4. Dalai Lama Inaugurated the International Buddhist Conference in Bihar
- 1.7.5 5. latest current affairs : CCEA approves setting up of 50 new Kendriya Vidyalayas
- 1.7.6 6. Former racing champion Ashwin Sundar dies in mishap
- 1.7.7 7. Nobel laureate Derek Walcott Caribbean poet passes away
- 1.7.8 8. latest current affairs : India & Russia sign long-term support pact on Sukhoi Su-30MKI
- 1.7.9 9. Germany to use voice recognition to identify migrant origins
- 1.7.10 10. Bandhan Bank signs pact with Avenues India to enhance customer support
- 1.7.11 11. Olympics: Fukushima confirmed as additional 2020 baseball venue