1. Rituparna Das wins women’s singles title at National championship
- Rituparna Das (2nd seed) from Telengana has won the Women’s Singles title of the 81st Senior National Badminton Championships tournament played at Patliputra Sports Complex Patna.
- She defeated Reshma Karthik(9thseed) from Air India in straight sets 21-12, 21-14.
- In Women’s doubles event, the pair of Aparna Balan and Prajakta Sawant clinched the title defeating Shikha Gautam and Sanyogita Ghorpade 21-9, 21-11.
- In mixed doubles title, the Pair of Satwik Sai Raj and Maneesha K clinched the title defeating Venkat Gaurav and Juhi Dewangan 21-14, 21-18.
2. Alastair Cook resigns as England Test captain
- England Test captain Alastair Cook (32-year) has resigned as test captain after a record 59 matches in the role, but he will continue playing Test cricket.
- He became captain in August 2012 and led his country to Ashes glory on home soil in 2013 and
- Cook is England’s leading scorer in Tests with 11,057 runs.
- He also led England in a record 69 one-day internationals (ODI) between 2010 and 2014.
- Cook was named Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 2012 and ICC World Test Captain in 2013.
3. Russia to miss summer’s World Athletics Championships
- Russia will miss this summer’s World Athletics Championships after governing body IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) voted to extend their suspension from international competition in Monaco.
- However, some Russians may be able to compete under a neutral banner, if they can satisfy testing criteria.
- Earlier, Russia was suspended by the IAAF in November 2015.
- London will host the World Championships between 4-13 August.
- More than 1,000 Russian athletes were part of a state-sponsored doping program between 2011 and 2015.
4. India to host FIBA Women’s Asia Cup basketball tournament
- India will host FIBA (International Basketball Federation) Women’s Asia Cup basketball tournament at Bengaluru.
- The tournament will be held from 23rd to 29th July 2017.
- India has also given another tournament FIBA U-16 Women’s Asian Championship, held from 22nd to 28th October in Hyderabad.
- Fourteen teams will compete in both the FIBA Women’s Asia Cup and the U-16 Women’s Asian Championship, with eight teams in Division A and six in lower Division B.
- The FIBA Asia Women’s Cup is an international basketball tournament for women’s national team organised by FIBA Asia.
- It was known as the FIBA Asia Women’s Championship before 2017.
5. Andhra Pradesh: First Smart Police Station inaugurated
- The Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Chandrababu Naidu has inaugurated the first smart police station at Nagarampalem in Amaravati (Andhra Pradesh).
- The fully air-conditioned Smart Police Station has a staff room, dormitory, mini control room, a reception chamber, and individual enclosures for the Station House Officer and three Sub-Inspectors.
- The Andhra Pradesh Police administration has planned to build another 100 such Stations across the state and to phase out congested police stations.
- The model Police Station doesn’t look like a typical Police Station with plush exterior and interiors that leave one with a feeling of having walked into a corporate style office.
- Staff manning the station will not wear the usual khaki uniform and instead sport a navy blue trouser and a light blue shirt.
- The women Constables have a light blue sari for uniform while the lady receptionist will additionally sport a navy blue blazer.
6. Railway Tunnel Qazigund-Banihal to be used during heavy snowfall
- Railway tunnel of J&K between Qazigund-Banihal will be used for plying vehicular traffic during extreme weather conditions and heavy snowfall on Jammu-Srinagar National Highway.
- The chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has reviewed the operating procedures to adopted while opening the tunnel at a meeting.
- Earlier, the Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu had agreed to the suggestion and it was decided that working out of modalities will be followed soon.
7. Manipur assembly election process begins today
- Today, two-phase polling of Assembly elections in Manipur begins with the issuance of notification for the first phase of 38 seats.
- The last date of filing of nominations is the 14th of this month, while withdrawal of candidature can be done till the 18th.
- The 60-member Manipur Assembly will go to polls in the first phase 4th March and second phase on 8thMarch.
National & International Appointment
8. Rajiv Singh takes over as acting CEO of Prasar Bharati
- The Prasar Bharati member (Finance) Rajiv Singh has taken over as the acting chief executive officer (CEO) of the public service broadcaster of India “Prasar Bharati”.
- He succeeded Mr. Suresh Panda.
- Prasar Bharati is a statutory autonomous body established under the Prasar Bharati Act and came into existence on 23rd November,1997.
- Prasar Bharati is an autonomous body set up by an Act of Parliament and comprises Doordarshan Television Network and All India Radio(AIR), which were earlier media units of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
Honors & Awards
9. Arunachal Pradesh govt introduces ‘Arunachal Civil Service Awards’
- The Arunachal Pradesh government has introduced ‘Arunachal Civil Service Awards’ for excellence in public administration in the state.
- It is an effort to encourage good governance and to recognize the extraordinary services rendered by the government employees in the state.
- The award will consist of a medal, a scroll, and a cash award of 1 lakh rupees for an individual and 5 lakh rupees for organization /group/team.
10. India & Austria agree to amend bilateral taxation treaty
- India and Austria have agreed to amend their existing bilateral taxation treaty to prevent tax evasion as well as enable mutual assistance.
- The protocol will broaden the scope of the existing framework of the exchange of tax-related information, which will help curb tax evasion and tax avoidance between the two countries.
- This will also enable mutual assistance in collection of taxes.
- The Protocol was signed by CBDT Chairman Sushil Chandra and Charge d’ Affaires of the embassy of Austria Georg Zehetner in New Delhi.
11. India Education Fair for Sri Lankan students begins in Colombo
- Today, two-day India Education Fair for Sri Lankan students has begun in capital Colombo (Sri Lanka).
- A delegation of around 20 Universities from India participating in the fair to educate Sri Lankan students on education opportunities in India.
- The focus of the event is to invite students to study in India under various scholarships.
- The lndian government has provided more than 700 scholarship slots to Sri Lankan students at various levels under the lndian Technical and Economic Cooperation Scheme.
12. 17th session of BIMSTEC senior officials’ meeting begins in Kathmandu
- Today, the 17th session of BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) senior officials’ meeting has begun at Kathmandu (Nepal).
- The Indian delegation is led by Secretary (East) Preeti Saran.
- During the meeting, delegates of member countries will review the progress made by BIMSTEC and recommend future course of action to strengthen regional cooperation among the group.
- The main objective of an international organization BIMSTEC is technological and economic cooperation among south Asian and south east Asian countries along the coast of the bay of Bengal.
Banking & Finance
13. No queries on deposits of up to Rs 2.5 lakh: CBDT Chairman
- According to the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) Chairman Sushil Chandra, no questions will be asked about deposits of up to 2.5 lakh during the demonetization period.
- Only those accounts will be probed who do not match tax returns.
- Earlier, The Income Tax Department has segregated different kinds of deposits and accounts who do not match their income tax returns filed in previous years will be taken for later enforcement.
- 3 lakh rupees are justified if a person has an annual taxable income of 10 lakh rupees and the tax department will not touch them.
- if companies show a cash in hand in the balance sheet of 10 lakh rupees and have deposited 5 lakh rupees, the tax department will not scrutinize such entities.
14. Bank of Maharashtra ties up with Cigna TTK
- The Bank of Maharashtra((BoM) has collaborated with insurance company “Cigna TTK Health” to market the insurer’s products in the bank’s branches across the country.
- BoM will offer the entire gamut of Cigna TTK’s superior health insurance products to its customers through its network of over 1,896 branches and 14,000 bank employees.
- Cigna TTK is a health insurance firm established as a joint venture between the Cigna (global insurance player) and TTK Group (Indian conglomerate).
Team Result Status.
- 1 Sports
- 2 National Affairs
- 3 National & International Appointment
- 4 Honors & Awards
- 5 International Affairs
- 6 Banking & Finance
- 7 Thak You…